New Bridge served as a battleground, fort, encampment ground, military headquarters, and intelligence-gathering post in every year of the American Revolution. The Steuben House, c. 1752 and a state historic site, is the only extant building from the 1776 Retreat through Bergen County -- Thomas Paine wrote about George Washington leading the troops across the New Bridge in the narrow escape "Retreat to Victory". The site was a constant area for conflict because of the bridge crossing. For 2 weeks in 1780, the Steuben House was Washington's HQ while 14,000 soldiers camped nearby. It has been the Bergen County Historical Society's HQ since 1939.
New Jersey gifted Major-General Baron von Steuben the Zabriskie-Steuben House in appreciation for his contributions to the American Cause. Steuben "thoroughly rebuilt" the war-damaged stone house on Main Street, River Edge, that now bears his name, forever marking his association with one of New Jersey's most beloved landmarks. This is largely the house you see today and is the only extant house he owned.
Contemplate Washington’s retreat as you walk across the 1889 Swing Bridge that spans the Hackensack River, owned by the County of Bergen. Two other nearby sandstone houses and a barn were moved to BCHS property in the late 20th century, the Demarest House, c. 1797 and the Campbell-Christie House, c. 1774.
Our collections were begun in 1902 when the organization was founded. They represent the largest collection of artifacts and documents reflecting the history of Bergen County. BCHS has regular programming where we have anywhere from 20 to 40 volunteer historians and interpreters staffing the site. Check our website for events.
Historic New Bridge Landing: Bergen County's Premier Historic Site
HNBL, 1201-1209 Main St., River Edge, NJ, only 7 miles from the GW Bridge.
The New Bridge Landing train stop on the Pascack Valley line out of Secaucus Junction is 1 block away. Free visitor parking at the HNBL parking lot on Main St.
HNBL is only open for events by BCHS, the grounds are open dawn to dusk.