Teterboro Airport is located in the Boroughs of Teterboro and Moonachie in Bergen County, New Jersey. It is twelve miles from midtown Manhattan, via the George Washington Bridge or Lincoln Tunnel. Teterboro Airport consists of 827 acres: 90 acres for aircraft hangars, maintenance and office facilities, 408 acres for aeronautical use and 329 undeveloped acres. Teterboro is the oldest operating airport in the Port District. Walter C. Teter acquired the property in 1917. During World War 1, North American Aviation operated a manufacturing plant on the site. After the war, the airport served as a base of operations for Anthony Fokker, the Dutch aircraft designer. The first flight from the present airport site was made in 1919. During World War II, the airport was operated by the Army Air Force. The Port Authority purchased it on April 1, 1949 from Fred L. Wehran, a private owner.